When updating a branch, you may receive an error if the file versions are incompatible. The error documents the name of the file, the file version in master, and the file version in the branch you're updating. We prevent the update because we aren't able to safely merge files.
Not all Sketch versions are incompatible and you may not see this error often. Incompatible file versions are more likely to happen after Sketch releases an update where they've altered the fundamentals of the file format. For example, files under version 48.X are not compatible with files under version 49.X and it's possible you will come across this error.
- If a team working on a project is collaborating using incompatible Sketch versions
- If you branch from master then upgrade or downgrade* Sketch to an incompatible version
To resolve an incompatible file version error, you'll need to upgrade or downgrade* the older of the two files. One person on a team can complete this process for everyone. This person should have the equivalent version of Sketch for the upgrade or downgrade.
- Open, make a small visual adjustment, and save the relevant file in a new branch. Doing so will update the Sketch file version automatically.
- Commit those changes as “file version update" to communicate the change with your team.
- Merge the "file version update" branch to master.
- Then, click Update from Master on each branch.
*In rare cases, you may need to downgrade. We recommend downgrading only if necessary. It's always a good rule of thumb to keep updates as recent as you can.