When you start a new project at Abstract, you will need to import an existing Sketch file or create a Sketch file to begin. You can add files to existing projects as well. You can also use the import and export actions to add or transfer existing projects to a new organization or to your personal projects.
Importing a file to a new project
Once you create a new project, you can add or create files right from the empty project dashboard. Import when you have existing files you’d like to work with. Create when you want to start from scratch. Either option will add the file to Master, your source of truth.
When you create a new project, you'll see two buttons in the middle of the screen: IMPORT SKETCH FILE or CREATE SKETCH FILE.
- Choose IMPORT SKETCH FILE when you have existing files you’d like to work with.
- Choose CREATE SKETCH FILE when you want to start from scratch. The Create Sketch File window will open and provide a place for you to name your file. You can also choose to use that file as a library file from that window.
Either option will add the file to Master, your source of truth. Then, you can branch from master to start designing.
Adding files to existing projects
You can also add files directly to Master or to individual branches after you’ve created a project.
In both instances:
- From the left-hand side of your project space, select Master or the specific branch where you’d like to add the files.
- Click the ADD FILE button.
- Choose from several options in the drop-down menu.
You can also export files from Master or any branch.
From the branch:
- Select the Files tab
- Right-click on the file name
- Select Export from the drop-down menu to choose a file location
Currently, Abstract only supports Sketch files. We hope to add more soon! Stay tuned for updates.